Sunday Dinner Pledge

Last revised: May 5, 2015

1. July 1, 2015 at 8:12 am | Posted by Diana Merrill

We pledge to eat together on Sundays.

2. July 1, 2015 at 8:10 am | Posted by Diana Merrill

Our family knows already how important eating together is but we still want to take part in this pledge of eating Sunday dinner together.

3. June 28, 2015 at 5:22 pm | Posted by Lindy Leone

We have always made an effort to have family dinner together as much as possible. Being married into an italian family it is required. Usually Sunday was always an early dinner followed by conversation & cards. Now that both my in laws have passed on my husband & I go get one of our senior aunts once a month for a meal. Sometimes it may be breakfast or lunch since a few of them are ready for bed before dark. Whatever time it happens is always an enjoyment for all. We learn something new about the family tree everytime. They're appriecation for our time always blesses us. This family dinner works well for all ages too.

4. June 22, 2015 at 5:02 pm | Posted by Rich

My siblings and I make sure at least one of us is with our mother every week. In addition, we have what we call "Second Sundays", where we all make an effort to have the entire family together. My mother is especially happy when all of her kids are together!

5. June 9, 2015 at 12:53 pm | Posted by Brooke

You can also Skype loved ones far away and eat with them!

6. June 9, 2015 at 9:28 am | Posted by Karen H

My sisters and I only have our Mother with us and we will cook an extra portion of our meals to share with her when we visit throughout the week. This way we know that she is eating well. My husband and I deliver for Meals on Wheels and can tell you that older and disabled people do not cook well for themselves. This organization does well to provide good foods and the companionship of a short visit, which the seniors really enjoy. Join me and take this pledge!

• June 9, 2015 at 3:36 pm | Posted by Cat Koehler

This is a great idea, and really doesn't take any extra time or money to prepare. Thanks for the great idea, Karen!

7. June 8, 2015 at 10:55 pm | Posted by melissa

My family has been doing Sunday lunch for as long as I can remember. It helps keep our family connected. This is a great idea , more families need to connect.

8. June 8, 2015 at 3:55 pm | Posted by Christiaan Scott Michie

I have devoted every Sunday or Saturday depending upon my schedule to visit my dearly beloved Mom, "Sophia" and help her out with what she is not able to do because I do not know if she would still be here next week.

9. June 4, 2015 at 2:44 pm | Posted by Neala

For years my parents-in-law would come over every Sunday for dinner and Uno. Dad is gone now and Mom, at 91, has limited mobility so we take family dinner to her a couple times a month and she loves it. My husband, son & daughter are all really good about going over to spend time & take her a meal. I always tell my husband, "we will never regret being good to your mother" and I believe it with all my heart. It's all about mindset and choosing to make time whether it's convenient or not.

10. June 1, 2015 at 3:20 pm | Posted by Murray Goodfellow

My wife Nina & I usually go out together at least once every week or two for lunch or dinner. We are 88 years old (me) & 83 years old (my wife) & live in Orangeville, Ontario. We have a son, Granddaughter & a 2 year old Great Grandaughter here in Orangeville also, so sometimes we have a real family get together & meal at a restaurant here for special occasions.

11. June 1, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Posted by Douglas Pudsey

We miss the weekly family dinners and find that we usually get together for special events like birthdays, mother and fathers day, anniversaries etc. This is something that more families should add to their to do list.

12. June 1, 2015 at 10:17 am | Posted by Tina

My pledge is for the opposite. It has been difficult to have family dinners especially given our blended families and busy schedule but I pledge to have family dinners with each of our families (kids) at least once another. It was a tradition about ten years to host family dinners but it became too much work/hassle so I stopped. So here goes....

13. May 31, 2015 at 6:49 pm | Posted by Shirley Esau

I am helping my 84 year old friend move into a senior care centre this month. I know she would love for us to have dinner with her at least once a month. I will take the pledge

14. May 30, 2015 at 10:13 pm | Posted by Sharon

Our family is blessed to still have 3 of our 4 seniors (parents) enjoying life. Sunday dinners have always been very special in our family and since we moved my parents closer to our home, Sunday dinner are a regular. It is wonderful to enjoy this time with them, knowing they are eating well and they love taking leftovers home. We are blessed to share this time with them.

15. May 22, 2015 at 11:58 am | Posted by Anne Gruett

I am in FULL agreement with this concept because my parents are no longer very mobile, but their minds are so full of activity! They love family time and especially love to visit about current events. I've noticed (as I do their grocery shopping), that they are now resorting to Smart Ones or Healthy Choice dinners, just for convenience. Not only will sharing a meal be a wonderful experience each week, it will also give them something to look forward to!! I'm committed!