Family Won't Help with Mom? 6 Strategies to Reduce the Drama

Chances are you spend a good deal of your life planning for the future. You plan your career path. You plan for retirement. But you may never have planned on becoming a family caregiver.

If you’re like many children of senior parents, you became a caregiver in small increments, over the course of time. Maybe it began by providing transportation after Dad gave up the car keys or by making phone calls to the insurance company to straighten out a health claim. As time went on, those favors likely became more frequent and you found yourself providing more and more care until you realized you were spending a significant portion of your free time taking care of Mom and Dad—perhaps much more time than your siblings spent pitching in.

Few people become family caregivers by sitting down with the whole family and creating a plan that covers the who, what, when, where and how of caregiving.

Unfortunately, this lack of planning can lead to family drama and sibling resentment. In discussions within the Caregiver Stress Facebook community, caregivers frequently express frustration over their inability to get other family members to help with Mom or Dad’s care. They often say they feel they became the primary caregiver by default and now shoulder the burden alone.

If you count yourself in that group—or if you want to avoid the sibling squabbles that can arise over family caregiving—take heart. It is possible, to a certain extent, to begin the caregiving conversation over again. These six tips can help you step back from any existing family drama over caregiving and create a plan to help you all move forward in harmony.

1. Start planning well in advance, if possible

It is never too late (or too early) to start the conversation. Even if you are well into the caregiving journey, you can access planning aids to help you move forward with more help from your siblings.

The 50/50 Rule® program, developed by Home Instead Senior Care®, offers resources for developing senior care plans that involve all of the aging family member’s children. Try to have your first conversations on this subject when the eldest sibling turns 40 years old, and continue to talk about how to share the caregiving before your parent even needs it. This way, no one sibling will “back in to” the caregiving role without the support of other family members.

2. Look at the big picture

For some families, the caregiving conversation begins with details: “I can’t possibly help take care of Mom because all of my kids are enrolled in extracurricular activities,” or “I live five hours away, and I’m not sacrificing my vacation time to fly in and take care of Dad.”

Instead of starting the caregiving conversation by diving into the details of everyone’s life, try taking a step back to look at the bigger picture. What types of support does your loved one need right now? What types of care will he or she require in the future? Once you have identified your loved one’s needs, then you can begin a conversation that gets into the details of which sibling can provide which types of support.

3. Take the emotions out of the conversation as much as possible

Siblings share an intimate personal history that sometimes includes baggage: hard feelings, old hurts. Try to set these emotions aside and deal matter-of-factly with your parent’s needs in the moment—and going forward. Keep the focus on achieving goals, not on your family dynamics. When you approach the topic of shared caregiving from a perspective of “here’s what Mom and Dad need, now how can we all provide it?”, the conversation may go more smoothly.

If you find it impossible to have these conversations without tempers flaring, consider hiring a mediator. These professionals can help bring everyone to a resolution without the hurt feelings that may accompany a do-it-yourself approach.

4. Match caregiving tasks with each person’s talents and abilities

Your older brother may balk at helping with caregiving if he is expected to bathe and toilet your mother. Your petite younger sister may not be willing to wrestle Dad’s walker into the car in order to drive him to appointments. Instead of insisting each sibling provide the same types of care, try to match tasks with each person’s abilities and interests. Perhaps your sister who lives far away would be willing to pay Mom’s bills and deal with other financial issues. Or maybe your brother who lives nearby would be happy to take Dad to his doctor appointments. There are many ways to divvy up the caregiving pie.

5. Accept that one person may always provide a disproportionate amount of care

You can’t force your siblings to help. That’s a simple truth. And even when you do get family members to commit to help with caregiving, you still may find you provide a disproportionate amount of that care. Try to come to terms with the fact that this is normal in most family caregiving situations. Acceptance may be easier in the long run than constantly feeling resentful.

If you feel undervalued for the amount of care you provide, try investigating ways to get paid for family caregiving. According to AARP, there are a number of methods that allow your parent to compensate you for the help you provide, including direct payment and tapping a long-term care insurance policy. Even if your loved one can’t afford to pay you much, sometimes receiving a token payment can help you feel valued.

6. Take care of your own emotional needs

High stress, isolation and depression are real dangers of caregiving, especially if you add in family conflict over caregiving issues. Although it can be hard to find time for self-care, be sure to make your own needs a priority. Even five minutes alone in the fresh air, or half an hour with a good book, can help you feel refreshed and recharged. If possible, hire a professional caregiver occasionally so you can get some time to focus on yourself.

How have you “shared the care” with your family members? Leave a comment below!

Last revised: January 5, 2016

1. April 28, 2019 at 1:26 pm | Posted by barely here

My father sold his home 7 years ago and moved in with me, when my mother died. He did not get much money for the home and his income is very low but was enough to pay for his food and the rest he spent on dates and fun, good for him .He drove his own car and was a very active person. This had worked out fine until about a year ago I could not stand his drinking any longer my loving sisters said poor dad he is alcoholic something my son died from. I would ask my father please drink in your room it bothers me he would say yes and then stagger down the hall and spill wine everywhere well I could not stand it any longer my sister said she would take him. Before he could move in I had to rush him to the ER he had a pacemaker put in he is 82. He came home but never appeared to get better, he started acting odd he began to forget how to write checks things like that. Doctor after doctor nothing I took him in 2 months to the ER 5 times they would say nothings wrong with him. Finally he was diagnosed with Dementia for course at this point my loving sisters said poor dad he has dementia , The sister who was letting him move no longer wanted him my other sister who lives in a different state said I will help any way I can but I have to work we all can understand that I put her on a plane to stay with my father for a week at my expense and she was also to pick up the car my dad gave her because he can no longer drive. To my great surprise she asked to be paid for the time she was watching our father. .One week is all I wanted, you see I had my second cancer diagnosis and had just retired do to some cognitive issues due to some cancer drugs.I wanted to travel with my husband who had just got a new job traveling. I said to them I am putting him in a home as soon as certain things start to happen OH no they said we will help! . How many people reading this thinks they are or will help? They say things like you just want to travel and my response Your dam right I want to travel I don't know How much time I have. I tell them I am a person with memory issues taking care of some one with memory issues and there are okay with that. They are okay that 3 1/2 years I was told I had cancer again and wanted to live my life to the fullest. WELL what about dad! I do understand that people have to work and don't have the time to help but don't condem me for wanting to have a life and make me feel quilty. my niece said to me he wouldn't throw us away there is a guilt statement. My sisters cry to me and say I have a anger issue and should see someone, really I have to find someone to watch him at my expense so I can take care of the anger caused by the situation I am in. Depression and quilt is all I feel! Do I hate my sister's no but I cannot understand why this is okay with them.

2. April 24, 2019 at 4:13 pm | Posted by Rose

I am in the midst of dealing with siblings who are offering NO support for my husband and I while we cared my Dad the past 8+ years. I have received comments like"you're trying to be a martyr", and that my husband only helps"because you make him". Dad recently took a hard turn downward with Vascular Dementia. He is now in the nursing home. I have to keep track of meds, finances, etc., etc.. I asked my oldest brother to help by taking one day a week in the previous year, taking Dad lunch, picking up his mail, and hanging out with him. Well, he forgot several times to even go to Dad's and one time went to Texas with his PSYCHO girlfriend and forgot completely about Dad. He also left a crockpot on all day/night another time(but made sure he took the extra soup I had made for them to eat. I email important information about Dad's health without ANY replies from 6 other siblings. I am at the END. I want to just walk away and say "let me know when the funeral is". The other siblings won't say anything to this brother because "they don't want to get involved". Once again, I am at my END. How can I walk away from helping Dad(just today I had to contact Dr. cause nursing home doubled his seroquel and he was a complete ZOMBIE) But the brother 40 minutes away wanted us to haul Dad there for his retirement "party" when he couldn't even come to see Dad but less than the amount of fingers I can count on one hand in the whole last year! Could I live with myself if I just walked away from it all? I don't care if I ever see any of these siblings ever again.

• July 1, 2019 at 5:35 pm | Posted by Carrol

I am in the same boat. My sister convinced me to move my mother to AZ to be near her, a mile away. Then got mad over me not giving full control of the assets etc. and stopped going by or taking her to lunch. I live in Seattle and I fly to AZ once a month to stay with my mom for a week. Mom has a live in caregiver, but who knows what goes on? I actually went to counseling, both my brothers wont' do anything. The counselor told me to leave out my brothers and sister b/c they were toxic and just take on the responsibility with the caregiver and move mom closer when the lease it uo, and your right, call them never, not even for the funeral. They don't care, I honestly have struggled with this and became very angry it's soooo sad and immoral. Good Luck you have to wakl away from them your doing the work anyway, leave them out.

3. April 4, 2019 at 8:26 pm | Posted by Len

I don’t understand why a parent’s desire to stay in his/her home trumps an adult child’s desire to do the same thing. It’s one thing to help with groceries/errands/repairs, but if a parent needs 24/7 care, maybe it’s time to sell the parent’s house and move to assisted living. It makes no sense for an adult child to give up his/her own home, job, relationship with spouse/children/siblings etc. for what amounts to a parent’s convenience. If the caretaker cannot save for her own retirement, what will happen to her in old age?The sheer bizarreness of doing such a thing makes me wonder how often it really happens. In my experience, live-in caretakers usually move in with mom and dad for another reason—unemployment, divorce, unhappiness with full-time work, etc.—and gradually become caretakers as the parents age. Siblings are not typically consulted about the arrangement, or are against it. But as the years go by and caretaker grows exhausted and resentful, the siblings become “selfish” and “uncaring” for not providing the same level of care. What the siblings offer to do is scorned as too little, too late. Discussions about hiring help or moving a parent to assisted living are viewed as proof that the other siblings don’t care. And eventually, the caretaker starts wanting a greater share of the inheritance, and becomes even more invested in demonizing and shutting out the other siblings. I can’t believe any parent would want that.

• April 13, 2019 at 4:59 am | Posted by Therese

So I hope I'm understanding your train of thought correctly and that would be the caregiver, if a family member, should receive a monthly income in the amount that would be paid to someone or a facility, depending upon the hours required and type of care required, less the percentage they would have to pay an outside source.Then the estate would be divided equally or however the estate owners see fit while of sound mind?

4. March 21, 2019 at 12:16 am | Posted by Lana

In January 2014, I lost my mother. My father moved in with my brother for financial reasons. After 9 months he asked to come live with us, of course I said yes. We have a large home and ask nothing of him. He is 76 this year and He just goes windsurfing, fishing, seeing his friends,helping his friends in any way he can He gets up early and out of the door by 8:30-9:00 then he comes home makes a healthy microwave dinner and goes to bed. He’s not really around much. But the interaction between my dad, me, my husband and our 2 girls, comes out really preachy. He was a pastor! lol...He is Bipolar, on meds, it he is condescending and hurtful.Three months after my mother’s death my husband lost his mother April 2014. He stayed living in their home, his daughter and her husband and son have lived with my husbands parents for over 20 years. But two years ago my husband drove 8 hours to get him so we could celebrate Thanksgiving with him. The moment he came in the house he as me who was the guy that drove him here. He was disheveled and his hair was oily. Obviously we didn’t let him go back home. Got him to a Neurologist and he has dementia and Alzheimer’s. His own daughter never even saw or didn’t care to see his decline. They also had stolen every penny from his accounts. So we have taken care of that. He is a lovely man and I have loved my father in law since I met him. The most godly and prayerful man. That’s how I got such a wonderful husband. He is like his father.But, in 2017 when my father-in-law moved we had both of our fathers as well as our two girls living in our home. We had have our 21 year old daughter just out of school and starting her career. Our 17 year old is in college 3 hours away. We are a very close knit family, meaning husband, wife and our girls. So losing my baby to college was extremely hard for me. I have been blessed to be a stay at home mom since we had our first.Obviously we have a full house. Father-in-law has declined rapidly and I have to be in the room with him at all times or he thinks he’s alone. Sometimes he knows my name sometimes not, he mostly thinks he’s at the airport or hotel it has been a big adjustment. But we love him so much and we would never put him in a nursing home if and until it is absolutely impossible for us to care for him.The problem for me comes from my father. I believe it’s because of past family history and his disorder. He is in the best financial situation he has ever been. We live in a gated country club community, (we were extremely poor when I was growing up, like no food sometimes) but now he keeps all his money of course and he can play all day everyday and that’s what he does. But his words, that I believe he intends to be helpful, come across quite the opposite. It hurts me and the girls, my husband is really laid back and works weird hours so they barely see each other but he would never talk to my husband the way he talks to me. I grew up in a Christian home and we raised our girls the same. But, his constant preaching is very hard to live with. I’m already stressed beyond belief and the moment I here him come in the door, I just get very anxious and want to hide and not even speak with him.I have two brothers, one wants my father to live with him, they have tons in common, windsurfing, surfing, painting high end vehicles.But how do you ask your father to please go move in with one of the boys without hurting his feelings. I don’t want him to feel unloved or unwelcome. But I can’t take all this pressure and stress.Does anyone have any advise on how to gently explain that he needs to move? Please help...At Wits End

• April 11, 2019 at 3:58 pm | Posted by Nanette

have your brother talk to him and tell him he would like your dad to come and stay with him for a while. Your brother can tell him he wants to do more things together with your father and he could tell your dad it would be easier if you stayed with me.

5. February 18, 2019 at 5:51 pm | Posted by Kim West

My mother passed away several years ago from cancer. At the time she and my father had been living with one of my sisters for many years. My sister did a lot of the work with my father given the living situation already in place. I would drive an hour each way several times a week to take her to doctors appointments, do her laundry, help with other things, I had a two year old and one year old at the time so I did as much as I could, Fast forward and now my father has dementia and in need of constant care. He lives with me now and I am his constant care giver and my sister does very little. She takes him to a few doctors appointments but has the attitude “well I did everything for mom so now it is your turn”. That is not how family should work. I am so frustrated and find myself angry with her most of the time.

• March 3, 2019 at 3:23 pm | Posted by A sister

i am in your shoes -though my dad doesn't live w/me yet. I feel a lot of resentment over the fact that my brother who lives 15 min away from my father no longer does anything to assist him. Yet for a decade when my kids were very young, my brother was the heavy lifter. His career and marriage suffered. We both view the other as shirking filial duty, I guess. Your sister is likely entirely burnt out. She may be able to help out some in the future if she can recover now. Or maybe she would contribute toward an aide. I know it's awful, but it'll be worse to lose your sister from resentment.

6. February 13, 2019 at 9:24 am | Posted by I did it !

My husband and I were 24/7 caregivers for my father who had Alzheimer’s and a few other health issues. My 2 adult daughters & their husbands have helped my husband & I more than I could thank them . My dad just passed away not even a month ago. We bought him to live with us after my mom passed away from cancer. I too come from a large family. Only one sibling lives in the same state as me ( she’s 40 minutes away ) she could have lived 40 HOURS away ! She & her family couldn’t careless about helping my family & myself care for our dad. She actually told me that “ SHE HAS A LIFE & THAT SHES BUSY !!! She would come to my house 1 night a week for 3 hours so I could run around like a chicken with it’s head cut off & try to get all my errands done. And he would go to her house every other Saturday ( as long as she wasn’t away on vacation or had plans !) Her & her husband go away every month for 3 days !! EVERY month ! Her daughter lives 11 MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE - the house that her grandfather lived in - my parents helped my sister raise her children, gave them a lot BUT my niece NEVER came here to see him, not once!!! The stress from being a 24/7 caregiver, from not celebrating holidays or birthdays with my husband’s side, to have to plan my daughter’s wedding & than baby shower while scheduling all his dr appts & everything else . All this while trying to still work from home which after a while I had to quit, really took a toll on my health. I ended up in the emergency room needed 2 blood transfusions bc I had a bleeding ulcer - which I never had before all the stress that comes with being a caregiver & didn’t know I had . And after my husband told her about me spending a week in the hospital, she still couldn’t even take our father an extra day so I could rest . When you are a caregiver, you have no time for yourself to even pay attention to any pain you might feel. Than to hear from someone else that she has the nerve to tell ppl that the both of us take care of our dad !! I told her that she couldn’t even name not 1 of his 7 doctors . Because she never took him to a dr appt in the 3 plus years that he lived in my house or even asked me ANYTHING about his health . To tell ppl that you took care of a elderly parent who had Alzheimer’s but all you did was watch tv with him a few hours a week is a joke. Taking care is, scheduling all appointments & taking him, calls to his insurance company, washing his soiled sheets & trying to change him without seeing him naked - so he could keep his dignity, cooking all his meals, answering the same questions over & over until all you want to do is bang your head against the wall, being a prisoner in your own house, putting him first before anything you might want - that is taking care of someone!! Plus having the emotional turmoil of a sister that could have & should have helped more . That same sister couldn’t even call her father on his last birthday- which we all knew it would be his last & not even calling on Christmas to say Merry Christmas to him !! To say that I told my sister that we will never be “sisters” again is a under statement!! She showed me just what she’s made of !! It is disgusting to me the way she & her family treated our father. If you never really took care of someone that counted on you for everything that they need 24/7 you have no idea what you’re taking about. I am proud of my husband, daughters & SIL’S and myself for the care & LOVE we gave to my dad until he took his last breath in my home. I wish all the caregivers that are reading this post all the best ! It is the hardest thing you will go through.

• March 6, 2019 at 6:08 pm | Posted by AJ

Thank you or sharing your story. Now you can rest and live your life. You deserve it. I am in the middle of a situation quite similar to yours and see no light at the end of the tunnel. I am just trying to hold on and stay sane. I am praying for the day when I too can write and say, IT IS OVER !

7. February 12, 2019 at 4:54 am | Posted by Martha W

My mother-in-law lives alone but my sister-in-law and her husband live across the street from her. My husband and I and his other sister and her husband live just across town. Mom has lung cancer and fell just about a year ago (she is 92) so she stays in a recliner and is on oxygen. She absolutely refuses to talk about going into a nursing home. The two sisters take turns sleeping over at night and my husband (and sometimes I) goes over every day to sit with her, usually from about 10:00 a.m. until about 4:00 on one sister's day and 8:00 on the other's. All siblings are in their 70s and retired but we are all exhausted. We raised 2 grandchildren and still have one in high school. All other grandchildren are grown and have families of their own. Nerves are wearing thin. Our house is a fixer-upper and we can't afford to pay someone to take care of things. As we grow older we are feeling resentment because we are "just sitting" each day when there are things we need to be doing at home toward the time when we will not be able to do. Neither of the girls will even discuss with my husband the possibility of taking mom to assisted living. Everyone is exhausted and I can't speak for the girls but my husband is to the point where he just wants it all over with. Sad to feel that way but it is what it is. My parents are gone but my mom went to assisted living and I was still working but visited several times a week, knowing she was being cared for and I could still have a life of my own. I have told my children- and grandchildren (one who is designated as health care spokesperson) to do whatever they need to do (for the good of the many) when/if the time comes that I can't care for myself, no matter how I might protest because of my failing mind. Then I can be cared for as needed without any children having to suffer neglect or anyone not getting to enjoy their own lives and grandchildren as they deserve to do. I urge anyone to take care of these matters while you are in your right mind and please do not be selfish and expect your children to give up time with their families and obligations in order to do things for you that others could do just as well. Then they can visit with you and enjoy time with you without any resentment building up.

8. February 8, 2019 at 11:32 pm | Posted by L went

So many of these are great on paper but not reality, I have 5 brothers and sisters, I simply asked if all of us CLD take 1 holiday a year and spend the day with mom if unable to travel , both my brother's Glen and Craig said they won't commit bc their families may be doing something, this was so me and my husband could spend time with his family too, nope, my husband had 3 deaths in his family in 6 months , mom dad and brother within two weeks , still wld not help us, they are all just very selfish people, it's only about them , and worst part is my sister in law keeps saying mom needs to move so she does not have to deal with and my brother allows, I sound awful but I am burnt out , have read all these great articles bit just can't get any of these things to work they don't want to help and will not , taking a serious toll, very sad.

9. February 6, 2019 at 6:55 am | Posted by Elizabeth

I disagree it’s that it’s just selfishness, not taking care of a parent with dementia. My mom has Alzheimer’s. On a regular weekly basis I am fine caring for her. Of course, I’m tired, totally isolated, and beyond stressed. So I guess not all is perfect. What I can’t do any longer is never ever take a vacation until lord knows when.... my mom is agnostic- she believes nothing is wrong with her so she will NOT allow caregivers. I need to travel somewhere with my husband. If she were not agnostic and accept occasional caregivers I think I could do this, tough as it is. I am leaning towards placing her somewhere now because I’m tired of missing my grandkids activities, having weekends with my husband, not getting away. I’m depressed- need something to look forward to. Unless you’ve actually done this, you have no clue. Are caregivers supposed to give everything up? If your not willing to give up everything, does this seriously make you selfish? I’m not an only child, but I may as well be.

10. February 1, 2019 at 4:43 pm | Posted by Terra

Sorry, but this article seems to be filled with all the platitudes uttered by someone who has not actually had to have their whole life disappear over many years, while having a hatred for a sibling fester and grow. A token appreciate and five minutes of sunshine is not enough to help one through a complete unraveling of their sense self and loss of peace, financial security, health and optimism. Not nearly enough. I hope others are doing better than I.

11. January 23, 2019 at 2:04 pm | Posted by Cheri

My friend 's mother-in-law has the early stages of dementia and she is trying to bring her husband & sisters together to talk about all of this, to no avail. The mother doesn't want anyone going in to see the Dr. with her and no one asks questions. Can you give me any words of wisdom to pass on to her, she is just the daughter-"in-law". She has suggested things but they don't listen.

12. January 18, 2019 at 6:10 pm | Posted by K

Wow! It is incredible that adult children won’t help to take care of their elderly parents. It was once told to me to have children so you will be taken care of in your old age. Don’t count on it! Adult children have busy and complicated lives. They don’t have time or money to take care of their aging parents here in the United States. It’s s a sad truth.

• January 25, 2019 at 1:54 am | Posted by ACE

They have the time, they just don't WANT the inconvenience of having to be on the OTHER side of the parent -child relationship! Some family members have plenty of income, they just don't want to be bothered! Life has always been about THEM, now, it's NOT about THEM, anymore! They're BRATS! My family always taught me to care for the other members. That's what you're SUPPOSED to do! If you don't teach your kids that, they won't understand when it's YOUR turn to be helped! Kids, today, are Narcissistic adults, and it comes from NEVER teaching your child to share with others, and take care of their family members at a young age!

• March 3, 2019 at 3:27 pm | Posted by Lis

The elders I know who get no help from their kids are the ones who were abusive or neglectful to their children. Usually in the name or teaching respect or because they were distracted by romantic relationships and vices. Then, fast forward forty years, they try to cash in on a bond that they never nurtured. I don’t help my mom because I owe her. I do it because I love her.

• February 1, 2019 at 4:34 pm | Posted by Terra

Sometimes a sibling / adult child is just selfish. There are two of us but I've been the caregiver for 7 years now and running. My mom had Alzheimers so I cared for her until she passed a year ago. Dad has gotten very frail through it all so now he needs continued care. My 'sister' (I don't think of her as a real sister) decided she would help and live with him for one year. Her year is almost up, and she'll go back home and she considers her job done. My Dad is still alive. He still needs care. But that is of no concern to her. She made sure the will is 50/50 and she'll be on her way. The level of hate I have for her is suffocating. I'm looking for ways to come to terms with who she is and how much my life had to change and diminish while hers is completely in tact. I'm big on fairness and justice so this smacks me blind most days.

13. January 13, 2019 at 7:04 pm | Posted by Hopeless

"Even five minutes alone in the fresh air, or half an hour with a good book, can help you feel refreshed and recharged."Sorry, that isn't enough to get recharged.

• February 1, 2019 at 4:35 pm | Posted by Terra

So true. Most of this sounds like its written by someone who never had to do it for years on end, losing themselves, developing a hate for the rest of the family.

• February 2, 2019 at 10:06 am | Posted by Janet

I so agree other that if you have difficulty aging parents perhaps one is handicap and is solely dependent on you yi know because I’m in that situation now myself you need at least a day away from the parent go for something that is uplifting and positive maybe a massage or something at a different location to where it is just your day that’s my thoughts and don’t answer the phone

14. December 26, 2018 at 1:47 pm | Posted by Karin Stitsinger

I feel so much resentment today for my sister and brother. I’ve been taking care of my elderly mother with Alzheimer’s who needs total care alone but for maybe 16 hours since 10/7. How can my siblings hate my mom so much to not even send a Christmas card....or hate me so much to not care that this is killing me.

15. December 26, 2018 at 10:00 am | Posted by Sara Jones

Siblings are not always responsible. Mom and Dad should make plans ahead of time. I cared for my Mom, as did one of my sisters, for five years pretty much full time. I quit my job to do this and would do it again. One big problem is that I had to go on disability for health issues. Disability SSDI, is based on the previous five years if employment. So, even though I have worked all of my adult life, because I took those five years off, I got SSI, which is $770.00 per month. I live in extreme poverty, although I have my own home. Talk to your local senior care Centers and to the Sicial Security Administration when you decide to care for a loved one. Even my son and daughter, who Mom loved and helped raise did not help with her. I am totally shocked at everybody. Christianity teaches caring and accepting responsibility. Now, I am trying to find work at 59, with no recent employment, a crushed ankle, other problems, and age discrimination. One sister and my daughter help me. Ian shocked at the family and also have lost respect. I would take care of Mom all over again. I love my Mom.

• February 1, 2019 at 4:39 pm | Posted by Terra

I'm in a very similar situation - going on 7 years for me. It's horrible. I'm glad you love your Mom. I too, found peace with my Mom (after a lifetime of fighting with her - the one blessing of Alzheimers). But except for my little Dad, who I still must care for, I hate the rest of my family and my life is in tatters. I think I'm most angry that I, so far, cannot find any inner peace with it all. So sorry for your situation. I know it well and it is not good. I hope Karma comes your way soon! In solidarity ~ blessings.