COVID-19 Alert: Manage caregiver stress during this health crisis. Learn More.
Call 888-575-0946 for Home Instead services in your area.
Sharing is Caring:

Getting assessed for dementia

Question: What doctor can I go to for evaluation of my husband’s dementia? Is there any treatment? He is up at night and sleeps all day and is after me, the wife and caretaker about 5 times a night. I am exhausted from dealing. He does not talk ---just goes from the chair to the bed. I care about him, but feel I am going crazy with his care. His family does not help in any way except to ask for money.
Dr. Amy: I suggest you ask your family doctor for a referral for a thorough assessment for dementia. While today there is no cure, there are behavioural and drug therapies that can help. It is quite common among people suffering from dementia to get their days and nights mixed up, and there are treatments that can help with this.
Getting your husband’s sleep patterns under control will help with your exhaustion. At the same time, you need emotional support for yourself. You may find it helpful to join a dementia support group, and you can find one through the Alzheimer’s Association.
Good luck!

Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.

Share your thoughts, stories and comments:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Ask Dr. Amy now!

    Dr. Amy would love the opportunity to answer your questions.

    Your personal information is kept private and confidential, and is used only to communicate directly with you regarding your question.

    All fields are required.

    By submitting this question, you agree to the Terms of Use and disclaimer for this site.

Find home care near you or your loved one: