COVID-19 Alert: Manage caregiver stress during this health crisis. Learn More.
Call 888-575-0946 for Home Instead services in your area.
Sharing is Caring:

Looking for financial support to help care for a loved one?


Question: Is there financial help out there for taking care of my 89 year old father?

Dr. Amy: The best way to find out if your father is eligible for assistance is to call your county office of the Department of Social Services. If he is not able to take care of himself because of physical or cognitive limitations, he may be eligible for Meals on Wheels, home care visits, help with light cleaning etc. Eligibility for services and support is income tested. I would also encourage you to call your Area Agency on Aging, which may also be able to provide assistance.

If your father suffers from a disease like cancer or Alzheimer’s, it’s a good idea to call the community organization for that disease—the Alzheimer’s Association, the American Cancer Society, American Parkinson’s Disease Association etc. These organizations have valuable information about sources of support, too. Good luck!

Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.

Share your thoughts, stories and comments:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Ask Dr. Amy now!

    Dr. Amy would love the opportunity to answer your questions.

    Your personal information is kept private and confidential, and is used only to communicate directly with you regarding your question.

    All fields are required.

    By submitting this question, you agree to the Terms of Use and disclaimer for this site.

Find home care near you or your loved one: