COVID-19 Alert: Manage caregiver stress during this health crisis. Learn More.
Call 888-575-0946 for Home Instead services in your area.
Sharing is Caring:

I have degenerative disc disease and no insurance. Help!


Question: I have degenerative disc disease and need surgery or I am going to be in a wheelchair. I have no insurance. Help!

 Dr. Amy: You may qualify for Medicaid. To find out, you will need to fill out an application. You can pick one up at the local Department of Family Services office. You can also go online at and download a copy, complete it, and mail it in (See, “Apply online for Medicaid” at the top left of your screen). This is a worthwhile step even if you think you may not qualify. If you are eligible, you can take the letter of denial to the hospital to see if they can arrange for your treatment to be covered by a non-profit grant. Good luck!

Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.

Share your thoughts, stories and comments:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Ask Dr. Amy now!

    Dr. Amy would love the opportunity to answer your questions.

    Your personal information is kept private and confidential, and is used only to communicate directly with you regarding your question.

    All fields are required.

    By submitting this question, you agree to the Terms of Use and disclaimer for this site.

Find home care near you or your loved one: