COVID-19 Alert: Manage caregiver stress during this health crisis. Learn More.
Call 888-575-0946 for Home Instead services in your area.
Sharing is Caring:

My mother has a number of health issues, and I live two hours away. Is there a way to arrange for in-home care to help her with meals and her medications?


Question:  My mother has heart failure, blocked arteries, valve leaking and a weak heart. With the heart failure, some of the symptoms are confusion. I live two hours away, in Georgia, and have to work. Is there any assistance that she could receive with someone giving her medicine to her and making sure she eats? I have plans to move back home but I can't do it until next year.

Dr. Amy:  A home care provider can help your mother by going to her house every day, or a few times a week, for a few hours to help her with light housekeeping, meals, and to remind her to take her medication. Home Instead, for example, provides this type of service and you can find a caregiver by checking out their web site at On the front page is a “Find Home Care” search engine. Low income individuals may be eligible for home care assistance through the government. You can call the Department of Human Services for more information. In Georgia, the toll free number in Georgia is 1-877-423-4746. They can tell you if your mother might qualify. I encourage you to follow up and get some form of service organized, since your mother’s confusion could prove hazardous to her health.

Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.

Share your thoughts, stories and comments:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Ask Dr. Amy now!

    Dr. Amy would love the opportunity to answer your questions.

    Your personal information is kept private and confidential, and is used only to communicate directly with you regarding your question.

    All fields are required.

    By submitting this question, you agree to the Terms of Use and disclaimer for this site.

Find home care near you or your loved one: