COVID-19 Alert: Manage caregiver stress during this health crisis. Learn More.
Call 888-575-0946 for Home Instead services in your area.
Sharing is Caring:

My mom has mild dementia. She refuses to come live with me but can't be left alone. How do I protect myself from a neglect charge?


Question:   My mom has mild dementia and refuses to come live with me and my family. She wants to stay in the comfort of her own home, which is understandable, but she can't be left alone. I need to know how to protect myself from a neglect charge. Who can I talk to? 

Dr. Amy:  If your mother has been diagnosed with dementia, or you suspect she may have dementia, the first step is to talk to her doctor to make sure she is getting the right medical care and support and to learn more about her condition. Of course, your mother will need to give written permission to the doctor before you can speak to him because people's health information is protected by privacy laws.

If your mother will not consent to your talking to her doctor and you feel she is in danger, you need to call Adult Protective Services. This is a government agency. Its mandate is to help keep vulnerable adults over the age of 18 safe. It offers a range of services that can help. Also don't forget to contact your local Alzheimer's Association for more information and support. They are a very valuable resource.

Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.

Thoughts and stories from others
  1. June 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Posted by Cindy

    Are you only worried about yourself? Take the bull by the horns. Tell her you will call a social worker in and have her evaluated if she doesn't see the light!


  2. June 18, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Posted by Alex Billos

    Amy; you DID NOT reply to the question of: "I need to know how to PROTECT myself from a NEGLECT charge". I UNDERSTAND your position. I would have responded to the question by suggessting the writer seek the advice of an attorney whose practice is in elder law. I do not know of any law that would positively state that a sibling MUST PROVIDE for the parents. Best Regards.


Share your thoughts, stories and comments:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Ask Dr. Amy now!

    Dr. Amy would love the opportunity to answer your questions.

    Your personal information is kept private and confidential, and is used only to communicate directly with you regarding your question.

    All fields are required.

    By submitting this question, you agree to the Terms of Use and disclaimer for this site.

Find home care near you or your loved one: