September 27, 2012
What do you get Grandma this year? A new blanket . . . again? How about a pair of slippers? While those gifts could satisfy the needs or desires of a senior loved one, why not choose a present that is even more meaningful: a gift from the heart. While you may not be able to add the following 10 gift ideas to a shopping list, you can bet they’re on your loved one’s wish list.
- Take your loved one shopping. Whether a trip to the mall or an online shopping spree, make it a special day. Be sure to tune into your loved one’s limitations and don’t overdo.
- Lend a hand. Carry on the holiday cooking traditions, asking your senior loved one to help where he or she can. Or, ask everyone to bring a favorite dish.
- Wrap and send packages. Arthritis can make wrapping those holiday presents a challenge. Schedule a gift-wrapping afternoon, complete with hot chocolate, cookies and plenty of family stories.
- Deck the halls. Bending, lifting and reaching to get those holiday decorations in place isn’t always possible for an older adult. Enlist the help of the grandkids and make decorating a fun multi-generational activity.
- Send holiday greetings. Offer to spend an afternoon helping your loved one address and send holiday cards, either by mail or as online photo greetings.
- Plan a fun event. Get a group of your senior loved one’s friends together to serenade other older adults in an assisted living facility or nursing home.
- Celebrate the reason for the season. Attend a religious program with your senior loved one. Be flexible with service times if necessary.
- Focus on others. Get your senior loved one and the entire family involved in gathering supplies for a homeless shelter or serving a holiday meal.
- Stay connected. Help an older adult connect with loved ones far away, whether over the phone or through a video-calling service like Skype.
Give the gift of time. Sometimes all an older adult wants is companionship. Show that you care by making room in your schedule to spend time together.
Holiday Activity Calendar
Use this calendar for festive activity suggestions that you and your senior loved ones can enjoy together throughout the holiday season.
Download Holiday Activity Calendar (PDF 349k)
Holiday Elf Certificate
Customize this gift certificate to give the seniors in your life what they really want – meaningful time spent with you. Personalize your gift offering with one of the provided activity suggestions or come up with one of your own.
Download Holiday Elf Certificate (PDF 602k)
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.