May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) minced yellow onion
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced frozen carrots
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) minced garlic
- 1 14 oz. (425 g) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (250 mL) lentils
- ¼ cup (50 mL) minced fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat, add onions and carrots, cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1–2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes or until the lentils are just tender. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and salt and pepper before serving.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.