May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped red onion
- no-stick cooking spray
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb. (500 g) lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground cumin
- ½ 15 oz. (400 mL) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ 14.5 oz (400 mL) can “no added salt” petite diced tomatoes
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium-large poblano peppers
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded reduced fat Mexican-style cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) salsa
- 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) light sour cream
- Spray 9×9 inch glass or ceramic baking dish with no-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In large skillet, cook onion and oil over medium high heat 3–4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add turkey, coriander and cumin, and cook 5–7 minutes or until browned, breaking up turkey while cooking.
- Stir in beans (rinsed and drained) and tomatoes with juice, and cook over medium heat 5–7 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in half the green onions. Lower heat to simmer.
- With a small, sharp knife, leaving stem-end intact, cut lengthwise slit along one side of each pepper; remove seeds and membranes being careful not to tear peppers.
- Evenly stuff peppers with about ¾ cup (175 mL) turkey mixture; place peppers in single layer in prepared dish.
- Top each pepper with 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) cheese. Bake 20–25 minutes or until cheese melts and is lightly browned.
- To serve, top each pepper with 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) salsa and 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) light sour cream; sprinkle with remaining green onions.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.