May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 4–5 hours
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) canola oil
- ½ lb. (225 g) cooked pork (about ¾ cup)—use leftovers from slow cooker Spicy Pulled Pork
- ½ (125 mL) cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) minced garlic
- 4 cups (1 L) lower sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp. (2 mL) ground cumin
- ½ chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- ½ 14½ oz. (400 mL) can diced tomatoes, un-drained
- ½ 15 oz. (400 mL) can hominy whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Use cooked pork butt (leftover) or cooked pork loin.
- Add oil to a medium sized saucepan on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until they’re tender.
- Stir the broth, cumin, chipotle pepper, tomatoes and hominy in the saucepan. Heat to a boil. Add pork to the saucepan and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the pork is cooked through and tender. Garnish with the cilantro.
Tip: Hominy is dried white or yellow corn kernels with the germ and hull removed. When canned, it’s ready-to-eat. The form of ground hominy is also known as corn grits or simply grits.
Slow Cooker alternative: Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on medium or low for 4–5 hours.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.