May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 2–3 lb. (1–1½ kg) beef bottom round or rump roast
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) tomato paste
- ⅛ tsp. (½ mL) red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup (125 mL) ketchup
- 2 cups (500 mL) lower sodium beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) cider vinegar
- ¾ lb. (375 g) baby carrots or 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2″ (5 cm) chunks
- 2 lb. (1 kg) red potatoes, quartered if large
- chopped parsley for garnish
- salt and pepper
- Rub roast with half the oil and salt and pepper. Brown on the stove in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Once browned on all sides, remove the meat and set aside on a plate.
- Place the remaining oil in the Dutch oven and cook the onion until soft, about five minutes. Then add the garlic, red pepper flakes (if using), and tomato paste, and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the meat back into the pot, and then pour on the ketchup, broth, and cider vinegar, and bring to a simmer.
- Once boiling, place the carrots and potatoes on top of the meat, cover, and let the roast simmer on low until meat is tender, about 2 hours. (Another option: let cook in a 300°F [150°C] oven for 2–3 hours. Or transfer to a slow cooker, and cook for 5–6 hours on low.)
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.