May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- bottom round roast or rump roast
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp. (2 mL) pepper
- onion flakes, to taste
- Place oven rack in the bottom ½ of oven, so that roaster will sit in the middle of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Pull the raw meat out of the refrigerator, unwrap and bring to room temperature. Let sit out for about ½ hour while oven is preheating.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper and onion flakes.
- Place seasoned roast in roasting pan, elevate the meat on a roasting rack inside the pan or if not available, cut an onion in half and place meat on top of onion halves. Cover and place in 500°F (260°C) oven.
At this high temp:
- Roast for 5 minutes per pound for rare meat
- Roast for 6 minutes per pound for medium meat
- Roast for 7 minutes per pound for well-done meat
Example: 2¼ lb. (1 kg) roast for medium doneness = 13½ minutes at 500°F (260°C).
- Then turn oven off and do not open oven door for 2 hours.
- At the end of 2 hours, pull out, temp the center of the cooked meat:
- Medium-rare: 130°F (54°C)
- Medium: 145°F (63°C)
- Medium-well: 160°F (70°C)
- Well: 175°F (80°C)
- Let stand for 10–15 minutes before slicing.
- Slice and serve.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.