May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 8 oz. (250 g) dry whole grain penne pasta
- ¼ cup (50 mL) bottled Italian salad dressing
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) honey
- ¼ tsp. (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) canola oil
- 12 oz. (375 g) raw chicken breast, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups (500 mL) of chopped (2-inch / 5 cm pieces) asparagus
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) halved grape tomatoes
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a small bowl, mix salad dressing, vinegar, honey and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken, cook over medium high heat for 8–10 minutes or until chicken is cooked (internal temperature should be 165°F, or 70°C). Transfer from skillet to a serving platter; cover and keep warm.
- Add asparagus and carrots to skillet. Cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 to 4 minutes or until asparagus is just crisp tender.
- Add dressing mixture to the same skillet. Cook on medium-high heat and stir for 1 minute, mixing with browned bits from chicken and vegetables. Add the chicken back into the vegetable/sauce mixture.
- Add the cooked pasta to the chicken and vegetable mixture and toss.
- Add the tomatoes, toss, and serve, topping with basil and Parmesan cheese.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.