May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 10″ (25 cm) flour tortillas
- no-stick cooking spray
- ½ lb. (250 g) lean ground beef (90–93% lean)
- ½ Tbsp. (7 mL) taco seasoning
- ½ cup (125 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup (50 mL) salsa of choice
- 3 cups (750 mL) mixed salad greens
- ¼ cup (50 mL) shredded reduced fat Mexican-style cheese blend
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) lower fat or light ranch dressing
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Pull off 2 large sheets of aluminum foil and crumple each into 5-inch (12.5 cm) balls. Place these on baking sheet and place 1 tortilla on top of each ball and gently fold sides of tortilla around the ball, as best possible, it will not be a tight fit. Spray the tortillas with cooking-spray. Bake 8–10 minutes or until tortillas are golden brown.
- In a medium non-stick skillet, brown meat, add taco seasoning, stir occasionally until meat is fully cooked.
- Add beans and salsa to meat mixture and heat through, stirring occasionally—about 3–5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add salad greens, meat mixture, cheese and dressing. Toss gently (with clean hands is ideal) until all ingredients are lightly coated with dressing and well distributed.
- Divide salad mixture evenly into taco shells and top with chopped tomatoes.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.