May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 2 14½ oz (400 mL) cans lower sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) minced garlic
- ¼ cup (50 mL) shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup (50 mL) quick-cooking barley
- ¾ cup (175 mL) cooked pork tenderloin, cut bite-size (use leftover pork)
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) dried parsley
- Place the chicken broth, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, cabbage, barley, pork and parsley in a pot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.
Slow cooker alternative: cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 7–8 hours, or until veggies are tender.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.