May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 small eggplant
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) canola oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) minced garlic
- 1 14.5 oz. (425 g) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. (425 g) can lower-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 2 tsp.(10 mL) dried basil
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) dried oregano
- black pepper
- 8 oz. (250 g) dried fettuccine
- Peel eggplant and cut into ½-inch (1 cm) cubes.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Cook eggplant over medium-high heat about 7 minutes or until nearly tender. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 3 more minutes. Add un-drained tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to saucepan. Combine sauce and pasta; toss to coat.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.