May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- ⅓ pound (150 g) 90% lean ground beef
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth, lower sodium
- 1 14½ oz (400 mL) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) onion flakes
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- black pepper, to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until brown. Drain of any fat.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, combine cooked beef, onion flakes, tomatoes, potatoes, mixed vegetables, broth and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20–25 minutes.
Slow cooker alternative: Brown hamburger ahead of time. Combine all ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 7–8 hours, or until vegetables are tender. Slow cookers vary slightly in temperature, therefore, in cooking time.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.