May 5, 2015
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) minced garlic
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 15 oz. (425 g) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz. (425 g) can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz. (425 g) can low-sodium Italian seasoned stewed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) sugar
- 2–3 cups (500–750 mL) hot cooked jasmine rice (follow package directions or use pre-cooked microwavable rice)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Cook onion in hot oil for 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini, carrots, garlic and ¼ cup (50 mL) of the water. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas, un-drained diced tomatoes, un-drained stewed tomatoes, sugar and remaining water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Get helpful tips and articles like these delivered to your email.