Seniors at the Gym

The gym staff treats Marley like a little old lady, and she's had enough. Mary's suggestion starts with the obvious.

Download a transcript of this Mary Maxwell video (PDF)

Staying active has benefits for the body and the mind, in the young and old alike. Learn more about fitness and staying active as a senior.

Seniors at the Gym

-Mary Maxwell, Posted August 21,2012

Marley, from Bradenton had this to say: "I'm 68 and go to the gym every morning. I'm quite fit, despite my outward appearance, but I always get special treatment from the employees there because of my age. I've told them many times that I am fully capable of the physical activities that I choose to do, but they always seem to hover around, hoping that I won't croak on their watch. Is it time for me to join a new gym?"

Thanks for writing, Marley. You say "despite your outward appearance" you're quite fit. I believe you. But you need to stop showing up at the gym in a wheelchair. I know, like the rest of our age group, you've gotten used to using a wheelchair to gain early boarding status on airline flights, special treatment in express check-out lanes, and easy access to crowded elevators. But this is causing a lot of nervousness at your gym. Watching somebody get up out of a wheelchair and step on a treadmill can be frightening to trained fitness personnel. I think you should just abandon the wheelchair on gym day. And don't even think about using a mobility scooter instead.

Watch the video, www.caregiverstress.com/2012/08/seniors-at-the-gym/

Visit CaregiverStress.com to discover more wit and wisdom from Mary Maxwell, as well as expert advice from Dr. Amy D'Aprix and other videos, articles, and resources for family caregivers.

Brought to you by Home Instead Senior Care

Want to get Mary's perspective on a topic?
Send your questions and suggestions to mary.maxwell@homeinsteadinc.com.

1. February 6, 2014 at 9:11 am | Posted by AJ 'ED' Scribante

Dearest Mary, What a treat to listen to your talent, once again. I still remember the write up you gave at the Victory party at Creighton Prep for the 'Wonderful World of Bash' when I was the Chairman. It was titled, the 'Triple Play' From Scribante to Welch to Stier. You still know how to entertain the audience. It was wonderful to hear you once again and enjoy a laugh with you. God Bless you Mary. Warm regards, AJ ( Ed ) Scribante.

2. August 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Posted by Mrs. Libby Dreier

Please, where may I get a copy of the TEXT of Mary's "Growing Old" video? It's what she read after the Invocation. I think this is "inspired" humor! What fun! But I would love to give a copy of the text of this, to a dear friend who isn't well. Would you please e-mail me this text? Be blessed!

• September 29, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Posted by betty doss

Please, where may I get a copy of the TEXT of Mary's "Growing Old" video? It's what she read after the Invocation at the Home In-stead meeting. I saw the video Would you please e-mail me this text? Be blessed!

• November 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Posted by Winifred Pearsall

I would like to have the TEXT of Mary Maxwell's prayer after the invocation at Home Instead. I have seen her rendition of it but would like the words. Is that possible?

• December 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Posted by Jane Saunders

I thougth this was hilarious

• January 2, 2013 at 10:37 am | Posted by Deborah York

Click on this link which is below the video window. I just saved it to my computer as a pdf file which is printable if I so desire. If for whatever reason you cannot get the video transcript send me an email at debannyorkie@hotmail.com and I will send you a text copy of the video. Download a transcript of this Mary Maxwell video (PDF)

• September 4, 2013 at 8:13 am | Posted by Martha Betten

I would love a copy of the Text of Mary's Growing Old video. Please I work at a retirement home and think the residence would love this. Greatly appreciated.