Mary Maxwell’s Invocation at the 2012 Aging in America Conference

Mary Maxwell reminds us once again that laughter is the best medicine with her invocation at the 2012 ASA Conference. Hear her commentary on marriage, technology, the unexpected stumbling blocks of old age, and Lady Gaga. Mary also discusses things she is thankful for, which range from caregivers and Home Instead Senior Care, to senior texting abbreviations such as DWI (Driving While Incontinent). Her invocation includes a retelling of the poignant poem "Blessed in Aging," meant to tell those who work with and care for seniors how much their efforts mean to aging adults everywhere. Do not miss this YouTube sensation's kick off to the conference.

Want to get Mary's perspective on a topic?
Send your questions and suggestions to mary.maxwell@homeinsteadinc.com.

1. March 22, 2017 at 12:03 am | Posted by donna bennett

I am needing possibly a new care giver co. I am with first light but the girls seem to not get enough money and drive long distance to help me in north myrtle they are driving from Aynor and Florence that seems crazy to me unless they have 4 before and some hrs after. I don't think they have been around long enough because I have a different girl almost every day. they come mon wed thur fri and sat. I keep two days to just not worry about if I have been up and maybe go to church when I can that I can walk. I live in a fantastic place but I have been buying some nice products Neutrogena like day and nite crème and the aids are stealing. I knew who Monday for I left a brand new tube of night cream and had layed down for I sometimes with my mucus problem and I am on a feeding tube I have to stay up until I get calmed down and can sleep. in two months they have stolen money , huge jar of almond butter was worth a lot and it has added up to 100 for those two months and they overcharge for a girl hit my car and I am in the process of taking her to small claims for geico forgot to insure my car and being sick I never realized I did not get a copy I pad 6 months ( and always insured everything) and I got an expensive rental 298. I have changed to state farm and will do probably libery mutual as I had. I thought they were high might be my age but only 2 pts for a reduced speeding ticket. I got 0 pts on this last one the cop should have ticketed the girl that slammed into to be on the license plate and he assumed I was turning into a forbidden like a u turn. I am thinking of changing they are 19.00 and hour and I get from john hancock I am all approved to help in the bath , some helping me dress and social they do very little cleaning and no cooking pls call at the # above and tell me your rates and if you have had complaints of stealing. I am appalled the things they take, whole 100 pkg of garbage bags, beauty new stuff I haven't been even to try for they are gone and I am trying to figure out how to keep them doing it and them knowing I know. I get to many girls but the one Monday I had used some the product told her to clean bathroom up and sink and that is exactly where it was I had hidden the day crème. I wish they would just ask and not think I wont catch it. I have no dementia just very tired a lot of days but try to bathe and maybe walk to rite aid or to the beach. I need to get a responsible one I don't have to play cop! donna Bennett number 843 2327153

• March 23, 2017 at 12:43 pm | Posted by Home Instead

Hi Donna, We're sorry to hear you had that experience with your past caregiving company. We recommend contacting your local Home Instead Senior Care office. They require drug screening of all CAREGivers, conduct thorough background checks of prospective CAREGivers, and all CAREGivers are bonded and insured to protect you against loss. Put simply, they will not send anyone to your home who they wouldn't invite into their own home. To get in touch with your local Home Instead Senior Care franchise office, call 1-800-640-3914 or visit www.homeinstead.com and enter your location. Best wishes to you.

2. March 9, 2017 at 10:45 am | Posted by Shelia Robertson

So wonderfully inspiring, please send a reprint from Mary Maxwell’s Invocation at the 2012 Aging in America Conference. Our MAD (Ministry for the Aged and Disabled) group, one of our church auxiliaries, meets every Wednesday and Miss Maxwell reminds me of ALL of them. They would absolutely love her speech as I did. Thank you so much! God bless.

3. September 11, 2015 at 8:38 pm | Posted by Bonnie Stull

I would like to purchase some of Mary's videos, or lectures. I would like to entertain my senior friends at parties. I know they would enjoy them. Where can I purchase them. Thank you. Bonnie Stull bonnie.stull@verizon.net

4. June 4, 2015 at 4:53 pm | Posted by Jen Schultz

Hello! I loved your speech! I work for an assisted living community and we are hosting our first ever talent show! I think it would be a great idea if this speech was the opening act. Is there anyway you can send me the script to your speech? Thank you.

5. November 24, 2014 at 7:31 am | Posted by Shirley Alvstad

Could I get a transcript of the invoca6tion done by Mary Maxwell? Thanks

6. February 2, 2014 at 4:36 am | Posted by sherry

I would love a reprint of her speech. What a wonderful way to look at life!.

7. July 11, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Posted by Rose Sauli

It was funny.I enjoyed the e mail

8. February 3, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Posted by Roslyn Rodgers

I thought your Address at Home Instead hilarious and would like a transcript of this to show my sister, who hasn't a computer. I'm 79 and can relate to everything you said!

• July 11, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Posted by Emanuel

I would greatly appreciate a reprint from Mary Maxwell’s Invocation at the 2012 Aging in America Conference becuse I am deaf.

9. January 7, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Posted by Gail Blomberg

Would love to purchase videos to use at various senior functons and reunions. Can you tell me where I may do that?

• January 9, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Posted by Ruth Henderson

I live in a retirement community and I would like to know if it is possible to purchase videos of Mary's stories or lectures. Thaks.

• October 11, 2014 at 10:51 pm | Posted by Sue Brown

Would love to purchase some of your videos. Where can I get them? Thank you Sue Brown