Is there a web site where I can chat with other caregivers?

Question:  Is there a web site that I can chat back and forth with people who are caregivers? I would find it helpful to discuss my problems with others and they can discuss problems with me.

Dr. Amy:  The beauty of chat rooms is that you can connect with people without leaving your home. Many chat rooms are organized around particular conditions or diseases. For example, the Alzheimer’s Association offers chat rooms for people with Alzheimer’s Disease, and the American Cancer Society provides chat rooms for people with cancer. Many are open to both people with the disease as well as caregivers. I encourage you to visit the websites of the organizations that support the disease or condition of the person you are caring for.

Type, “Chat room” in the search field when you are the main page, and you will be directed to the chat rooms if they have them. You will be asked to register before you join. In addition to chat rooms, many organizations operate message boards—sometimes called forums, which can also be a great source of support. The National Family Caregivers Association (thefamilycaregiver.org) and Caring.com (caring.com) are examples. A number of organizations are planning to create or expand the online support they provide in the coming months. As with everything, you always want to make sure that you are dealing with reputable organizations. You also want to avoid giving out information that identifies you personally. I am interested in readers’ experiences with caregiving chat rooms and forums. I’d like to invite readers to share their experiences using the comment section.

1. July 7, 2017 at 10:14 pm | Posted by Leda

My mother will be 90 in September. I have been caring for her for 3 years. She has never been easy to get along with but with the dementia ,She is ten times worse. Everything I do is wrong. She finds fault with anyone who tries to help her,especially me. My brother calls ten minutes out of each year but he is a saint. Frustrated, depressed and ready to walk away.

• July 11, 2017 at 12:45 pm | Posted by Home Instead

Hi Leda, we're so sorry to hear you're feeling frustrated with your situation. Have you considered hiring professional care support? If finances are an issue, consider applying for a grant program like this one: http://www.helpforalzheimersfamilies.com/dementia-support-network/alzheimers-care-grant-program/. Hang in there, you can do this!

2. July 7, 2017 at 5:36 pm | Posted by Patti

Looking for caregiver friends to chat with

• July 17, 2017 at 6:37 pm | Posted by kai

My mother is 88 years old and lives by herself with 3 big dogs. I go there everyday, pick up the mail, newspapers she doesn't read, do her shopping, check to make sure dogs are ok, vacuum, dust. I can't live with her because she complains and yells at the dogs and it is like going back to my childhood. All she does is complain and talks and talks and talks. She was in the hospital a week ago and complained and talked and complained. She even talked about how I don't speak and complained about that. I just get SO TIRED of listening to her voice...when we have Dr apt she pretends to be frail and sweet and grabs my arm for help to walk but I don't want her to touch me...I know how her mind works and she reminds me all the time of what a failure I am, yet she gives me $ all the time...am thinking of just running away but can't leave her...am caught in a trap or what

• July 17, 2017 at 7:59 pm | Posted by George

Hi Patti, just wondering if you have received anyone to chat with or too many requests ? GB

3. June 12, 2017 at 11:06 pm | Posted by Gilbert Zendejas

Is it me or does everyone feel lonely after a loved one has a medical issue? My wife had a stroke about 10years ago and it has been rough going. She hardly speaks and it's been rough. I don't blame her because I know it not her fault but it just gets so frustrating sometimes.

• July 7, 2017 at 5:45 pm | Posted by Patti

My husband had a stroke 9 yrs ago, four days later, lung cancer. Then a heart attack, then cancer two be more times. Throat then vocal cords. Has a permanent trach as of two yrs ago..can no longer speak. We share an apt with our son who's a single dad with shared parenting of a three yr old. My son broke his be tibula-fibula in Dec..off work since then and we've been supporting both he and his son N

4. June 11, 2017 at 12:42 am | Posted by Maria

I have been taking care of me elderly parent for the last seventeen months. I have not had any help for just a break. I have two brothers Who live close by but refuse to help.Is anyone also in this situation? My parent is not hard at all but broke their leg and has never been the same.

5. December 11, 2016 at 4:29 am | Posted by kynzi

My mother had a slip and fall at her work.she instantly lost all her memory. I was left with a shell of a mother with no memory and frustration on both sides. We have to take it day by day. Know it's a disorder and rise above it. There is no harm that will come to you. Be patient and put yourself in there shoes. They are loosing everything they know so trust is a huge issue and frustration is very high for them. You have to take things for surface value and be able to forgive very easily. Any more questions I am here for you.

6. July 4, 2016 at 7:06 pm | Posted by Barbara waldrop

A wife, we learned he has dementia and I am scared to death, alone, and have so many questions. In the last month at night he has to have me next to him to touch all night. He talks of nothing but how he wants me, we are both in our early 80, and have not had sex for the past 15 years. I have talked until I'm horse, I can't sleep, can I get him over this?

7. June 28, 2016 at 12:02 am | Posted by Elizabeth992

We are 20 months into his Alzheimer's dementia and the sun downing. Being a scrub nurse for 25 years I know what is ahead of me but I feel the same as most of the caregivers. My family and his are 1200 miles away and so his care is up to me. His mind is gone for most of the time and I miss him. I would like to get into a chat room with like people just to be able to talk with people who understand what I am going through.It is so painful when you have no- one to talk with.

8. June 14, 2016 at 10:35 pm | Posted by Shelia

My mother is 90 and it's becoming very difficult for me. Anyone know of any "chat rooms" where I can discuss things with others. I searched this site and found only this article. Thanks.

9. May 24, 2016 at 7:03 pm | Posted by Elaine Ely

I know others who are also going thru this and their kids are for the most part are in denial. They will help get a parent into a home, but do not give the time, as they may be hurt (emotionally) as you/we are. It has helped me just knowing that God plans my days. They are difficult, but he gives me strength. Just do the things necessary. Rest when he rests. Just love him. He especially needs that, even if he can't express it. You will be glad you did. There is life after this. Head up, shoulders back. You can do this. Prayers for you, Vicki.

10. May 5, 2016 at 2:25 pm | Posted by perkins

Lloyd and I were brought upstate by his children, because he developed dementia and ALZ, Parkinson's. I took him to 5 neuro docs some told me it was in my mind, old age, hardening of the arteries, and so on. More neuors here and more of the same but our family doc finally told me it was dementia, oncoming ALZ and the hardening of the arteries caused a Parkinson's like symptom, My husband now has bone on bone with his hips and finding the right Orho doc has become an uphill battle. Had home bound care but when I could not find someone to stay with him and had to take him with me they cancelled it along with someone coming in to bathe him. My health is deteriorating as well but the children wait until I ask for something not remembering we are here because we need help. They never volunteer or ask if we need anything and youngest son lives right next door, I have to ask beg pitch a fit for them to be concerned. You maybe like me and have no friends or anyone you can collapse into their arms be hugged and really listen. Youngest son has informed us they are "too busy" to take time to have him come and spend even a few hours with them and the grand kids. I get so exhausted doing everything by myself, overwhelmed, depressed and being bipolar meds are pushed to he limits. When I tried to talk to son next door about stress he asked what do I have to be stressed about now, since we came and moved you up here. I barely remember the trip up in our MH. Its hard giving up your home for over 50 years. I have a daughter in Jax Fl and was lucky to see her sometime on Mother's Day. She was only 3 hours away. promises to come and see us and then has excuses why not but she can go see her sister in Colorado. But who am I to complain??

11. February 12, 2016 at 9:30 am | Posted by Jeanie

I wish God could be the answer, but faith does not take off the burden and the isolation

• May 5, 2016 at 2:07 pm | Posted by perkins

I understand what you mean.God loves us but remember he never promised us an easy life when Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit and the involved "free will". He hears our prayers, and sometimes his answer is no about what we pray for, plus he answers in His time frame giving us an opportunity to possibly find a solution for ourselves. I hope this helps, love in Christ Teresa

12. December 20, 2015 at 6:13 pm | Posted by Vicki Evans

God please give me strength to care tomorrow

13. December 20, 2015 at 6:12 pm | Posted by Vicki Evans

God please help me to be strong enough to go through another day

14. December 20, 2015 at 6:09 pm | Posted by Vicki Evans

I am at end of my tether so tired physically and mentally too much now I feel no future my lovely husband reduced to this poor Hunan being he has no emotions no proper speech incontinent so hard to move him shower him everything is such hard work We were so close so in love why why why did this happen