Mary Maxwell Suggests Money Saving Ideas

Like many, Stefanie is looking for ways to save a little money. Mary offers some non-traditional ways to stay on a shoe-string budget.

Download a transcript of this Mary Maxwell video (PDF)

For more tips on saving money, make sure to read 10 Ways Seniors Can Stretch Their Dollars.

Mary Maxwell Suggests Money Saving Ideas

—” Mary Maxwell, Posted September 20, 2011

This question comes from Stefanie in Barkhamsted: "I'm always trying to stretch my dollars. You seem like a smart lady." Thank you Stefanie. "Any suggestions on how to save a buck or two?"

You will need to carry a large purse and become a "packet person" and you will also need to remember not to take one packet of sugar, or sugar substitute -- take 5. The same with creamers and condiments and, if they're present, at least three or four of those little containers of jelly. I'm sure I don't have to tell you pack all the the shampoo, bars of soap, and conditioners when you leave the hotel. Now, I suppose you could add a couple of towels, but I think it would be crossing the line to take the shower curtain. Meet your friends for lunch at the grocery store. On a Wednesday they have so many samples for you to try, you can have a three- or four-course meal. Never leave part of a restaurant meal on the table. Get a take home box and don't forget the butter and rolls - a lot of people do. I, myself have never had the nerve to take home the salt and
pepper, but I know a lady who hasn't bought salt and pepper at the store in five years. And don't forget extra paper napkins; they have more uses than vinegar.

Watch the video, www.caregiverstress.com/2011/09/mary-maxwell-post-3/

Visit CaregiverStress.com to discover more wit and wisdom from Mary Maxwell,
as well as expert advice from Dr. Amy D'Aprix and other videos, articles, and
resources for family caregivers.

Want to get Mary's perspective on a topic?
Send your questions and suggestions to mary.maxwell@homeinsteadinc.com.

1. May 15, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Posted by Billie Jean

Glad you have the sub-titles because I wasn't able to pick up the voice...Truely a special treat for my day today...wasn't expecting so much laughter and joy on my job hunt. Today's new world of applying for a job...I rather liked the old way much better...this way is so impersonal. Oh well, guess we have to go with it...Gotta get back to the job hunt...but would like to thank you for the joy of the moment. Billie Jean

2. October 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Posted by Reta Cosby

I am 59 years young. I have worked as a paraeducator for special needs students and caregiver for the past 11 years. As I watched Mrs. Mary's video, I decided I want to be a caregiver just like her when I grow up.

3. October 14, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Posted by Judith Di Joseph

I would have loved to hear this. I could not get audio

4. October 13, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Posted by Jean

Being an 83 yr.old grandmother & great grandmother (of course I always thought I was "great"). A stroke 6 yrs. ago left me somewhat handicapped but, hey, I'm still looking at the grass and enjoying life. I love Mary and her terrific humor. God bless....Jean

5. October 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Posted by Bill Jenks

I agree 100% with David Dunn's comments about the canned laughter and format for Mary. I used to live down the street from her, and served on the Cathedral Arts Board with her. She was even funny at board meetings. She can't help it!

6. October 12, 2011 at 11:32 am | Posted by David Dunn

If you don't mind these suggestions, please don't use the canned laughter. She doesn't need it and it really cheapens your presentation. She works better in an "interview" format. Let a host ask her questions, like on Letterman. It's her "natural humor" that works, not a prepared script. In this case, a live audience reaction would be good. Not canned though. Mary can be very funny, but only in a natural, "unrehearsed" setting. Just some thoughts from a long-time director! David Dunn Producer/Director Hollywood, CA

7. October 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Posted by Lois Diltz

I am 85 years old and don't know my website. Mostly I'm an e-mail or jig-saw puzzle computer operator. I started on computers ? in 1954 when they were first starting. I didn't work there very long as we adopted a baby boy and I wanted to give him a motherly start. After I bore 3 natural children, I went back to work on keypunch machines and ended up on the main frame computer. I retired after 22 years at 65. I was bored at home so I found a part time job at a sewing machine and craft store and worked till I was 75. You can see my love of sewing shows up in my e-mail address. I've belonged to a quilt club for over 20 years. I don't remember how I happened on Mary Maxwell's views of old age and kept it on my computer. I thought it was perfect to show to my 3 sons and daughter so they realize this is part of growing old and not just me who has these things happening to me. She is hilarious. I have some medical problems but did pretty well reaching age 85. I was the 7th of a family of 14 of which there are only 2 of us left. My brother who is 10 years younger than me is battling cancer. I really miss the telephone calls I used to make to the other members of my family. Sorry if I am boring you but I don't get to talk much and I grab every chance I can. Thank you so much for the things on this program. LoisDiltz