Struggling with caring for a loved one? Call 888-741-5172 for 24 hr support and resources.

Mary Maxwell comments on the secret of a happy marriage

Sharon was asked to share the secret of a happy marriage with her granddaughter, and she's turned to Mary for the perfect answer.

Download a transcript of this Mary Maxwell video (PDF)

It could be tough convincing love-struck teenagers, but older adults who have been together for many years do experience romance that rivals that of their younger counterparts. Read more: Romance Thrives in Long-Term Relationships, Study Reveals

Mary Maxwell Comments on the Secret of a Happy Marriage

-Mary Maxwell, Posted September 20, 2011

Today's Question comes from Sharon in Santa Fe. She says, "My granddaughter is getting married this summer and asked for the secret to a happy marriage. What should I tell her?"

That's a wonderful question, Sharon. It's difficult because we promised to be true to each other until death do us part. But nobody ever tells you how long that might be. My husband and I just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary and I can't tell you how surprised we both were. I remember the day we were married the priest told us, "never to go to bed mad at each other." So for the first 10 years, we stayed up and fought all night. But of course, my instinctive answer to the
question of what is the secret of a happy marriage is bourbon. Or the alcoholic beverage of your choice. But I'm pretty sure that's not a politically correct answer. No, I guess I would opt for the traditional Erma Bombeck reason to stay together. That would be, whoever leaves first has to take the dog -- and the children.

Watch the video, www.caregiverstress.com/2011/09/mary-maxwell-post-2/

Visit CaregiverStress.com to discover more wit and wisdom from Mary Maxwell,
as well as expert advice from Dr. Amy D'Aprix and other videos, articles, and
resources for family caregivers.

Want to get Mary's perspective on a topic?
Send your questions and suggestions to mary.maxwell@homeinsteadinc.com.

1. May 4, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Posted by Roger S. Pile, PhD

Now there is a woman who will live forever as she seems to live "dangerously"! I got to 86 because I live dangerously. I allow NO ONE to run my life for me. I have enough trouble doing that myself without a miserable bureaucrat advising me into lunicy. I never look back - I look always to the next adventure I will go on and thus will never "age". I am becoming like a child now, full of wonder and eager to explore, to laugh and dance, eager for what's next! Yes, I am now about to embark on the greatest adventure of my whole life - to fulfill my dream of 30 years. I have now been promised the funding to do it. Will keep me busy for the next 30+ years!

2. March 11, 2012 at 3:12 am | Posted by Lindsay

Mary, I would demand that I take the dog. But the children, I would not even consider that idea. How could anyone lead a normal happy life with the children of an unhappy marriage? Otherwise, your ideas of alcohol to soothe the emotion can work. Then of course it can create disaster. Try the only way out - just leave. If your partner wants you, he or she will leave with you. You will soon find out for yourself. If your partner tells you he or she wants to leave, just help them pack and get on with it.

3. March 1, 2012 at 11:02 am | Posted by isabel

a good friend shared this with me and I like it!!!

4. February 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Posted by JOHN FATTALEH

...another Jack Benny

5. January 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Posted by Dulce V. De Pala

I admire people who at this stage of their life, still has the right sense of humor and joke without a change in their facial expression. She is a tremendous personality. 10 kudos for you and keep on!

6. October 15, 2011 at 11:34 am | Posted by Ellen Ryder

Love everyone of Mary Maxwell talks. Maybe she would like to do one about senior women trying to explain to the auto mechanic about the strange noises under the hood of the auto and all of the questions the they can ask. Fun - Fun

7. October 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Posted by Joyce A. Zucker

Very cute...I enjoyed it! Might I add...I took the cat and the children and enjoyed it even more...and still do .

8. October 12, 2011 at 11:51 am | Posted by Georgie Bright Kunkel

I am 91 and I don't need senior care at this time. I live in my own house, do my own housework, drive everywhere I need to go, swim twice a week, do flexibility exercise every morning before getting out into the world, write for two newspapers, entertain myself and others with comedy on the Comedy Underground stage as the oldest standup comic in the greater Seattle area and I am dating now. I am at this moment getting ready to pick up my date a the airport. I am never going to die so I won't need a nursing home.

9. October 10, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Posted by Catharina

I enjoyed this so so much!!! All of them, really. I have aging parents, in their 80s, and I so wish they could enjoy this too but they don't know English :-( Thank you so much Mary!!! You made my day!